Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Dear Departed: Writing Skills

Victoria is the only one who loves her grandfather. She is also a witness to the manipulations and the mercenary behaviour of her parents and her aunt and uncle. She writes a diary expressing shock at their attitude and the emotional loss she would undergo after her grandfather’s departure. [C.B.S.E. 2011 (T-1)]
Ans :

23rd June, 2014
Monday
11 AM

Dear Diary,
Today is the worst day of my life, when Grandpa was supposed to have passed away. I am deeply shocked at the behaviour of my mother and father, who are pinching the belongings of my Grandpa. Imagine none even went to look up Grandpa. I know Grandpa was not happy living with us, I tried my best but mummy never listens. Even papa supports her. I am so ashamed to see their hypocrisy.
I don’t know how they will expect respect from me, when they have behaved so abominably. I pity Grandpa for this treatment. Oh! how I wish I was grown up enough to look after him.

Victoria.

Abel in “The Dear Departed” is very upset at the behaviour of his family. He expresses his feelings to a close friend in a letter. As Abel, write this letter. [C.B.S.E. 2011 (T-1)]
Ans :
501 – B
Rockford Villa,
XYZ City

24th June, 2014

Dear Anthony,
You must be surprised to get my letter after such a long time. But frankly speaking I did not find anyone in this whole world to become a witness to my marriage with Mrs. Shorrock, a widow, running a school in our neighborhood.
Don’t get shocked to hear about my marriage at this ripe age when I have a full fledged family of two children and grand children. I myself never thought of taking such a drastic step had I not got over drunk one night and slept till late in the morning. That was a blessing in disguise, I could see the hypocrisy of my daughters. My supposed death was no loss to them since they considered me a burden. My death became a kind of competition for both of them. They outshone each other in wearing the best mourning dresses and took away the things from my room in the presence of my supposed dead body and started accusing each other. It is only my granddaughter who has some feelings for me.
Sensing the mercenary nature of my daughters, I have taken a stern decision, to spend the fag end of my life in good care. I have outwitted all of them and have planned to Marry Mrs Shorrock who would look after me better. Moreover, I am going to take away all my things and leave nothing for them. I hope you will appreciate my decision. Do come to St. Wilson church on Monday, the day I am getting married, at 11 a.m.

Yours very own
Abel Merrywheater.

1 comment:

RETHINKING THE PURPOSE OF HOMEWORK

In education in India, homework has long been viewed as a staple, a marker of a student's engagement with academic material. Yet, the qu...