Thursday, June 26, 2014

Class 9 Grammar: 'used to' and 'would'

Use of ‘used to’ and ‘would’
‘Used to’
When we talk about the habitual action happening in the past but not happening now, we use ‘used to’.
For example:
I used to play cricket every Sunday. (It means: Now I don’t play cricket on Sundays)
‘Used to’ can only be used for actions happened in past. We cannot use ‘use to’ for actions happening in present.

‘Would’
‘Would’ is used to show some actions which happened repeatedly in the past.
For example:
I would go to play cricket every Sunday. (It means nowadays I don’t go to play cricket on Sundays)
So, ‘used to’ and ‘would’ ca be use for the same purpose.

However there are two differences in the use of ‘Used to’ and ‘Would’
1.    I used to go to gym. (Now I don’t go)
2.    When I was young, I would go to gym. (Now I don’t go)
In the first sentence, there is no time frame. When there is no time frame mentioned, we use ‘used to’. But we cannot use ‘would’ when there is no time frame mentioned.
It is must to use ‘would’ when the time frame is mentioned.
For example:
When I was small, I would go to jogging every morning.
Here, the time frame is ‘when I was small’, that is why, use of ‘would’ is grammatically right.

Stative Verbs
Some English verbs, which we call state, non-continuous or stative verbs, aren't used in continuous tenses (like the present continuous, or the future continuous). These verbs often describe states that last for some time. Here is a list of some common ones:

like
know
belong
love
realise
fit
hate
suppose
contain
want
mean
consist
need
understand
seem
prefer
believe
depend
agree
remember
matter
mind
recognise
see
own
appear
look (=seem)
sound
taste
smell
hear
astonish
deny
disagree
please
impress
satisfy
promise
surprise
doubt
think (=have an opinion)
feel (=have an opinion)
wish
imagine
concern
dislike
be
have
deserve
involve
include
lack
measure (=have length etc)
possess
owe
weigh (=have weight)

We never say:
·         I am loving you.
·         I am liking this.
·         I am imagining.

We can use ‘used to’ with these stative words.
For example:
I used to love you. (But now I don’t)
I used to like this ice-cream. (But now I don’t like this)

But we cannot use ‘would’ with the stative verbs.
For example:

Saying that ‘I would love you’ or ‘I would like this’ is grammatically wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RETHINKING THE PURPOSE OF HOMEWORK

In education in India, homework has long been viewed as a staple, a marker of a student's engagement with academic material. Yet, the qu...