Thursday, July 10, 2014

Class X: Writing Narrative Piece

Writing a Narrative Piece

What is narrative writing?

To narrate means to tell someone about some even or an experience, or the give detailed account of an event. It is a kind of commentary for a film. It includes particulars of course of events presented in writing.
While writing narrative piece of literature, one has to be careful about flow of events and the details of the events about which the writer is supposed to talk. The writer should write in such a way that it should sound like a story telling. The language should be casual. One should write it from first person’s point of view (if it is asked to write in that form).

Sample of narrative writing

Rahul is working as a machinist. He is your co worker but also a good friend. When you see him working with so much diligence and dedication, you feel happy at having supported him when his father was against him learning to be a Machinist. Write a narrative piece on Rahul's journey of self realization and success and how your support helped him achieve his ambition.

Whenever I see Rahul, my friend and co-worker, working sincerely with dedication, I feel proud of it for having ‘Never Give Up’ attitude. I still remember Rahul who came to my home at late night in his dirty clothes and eyes filled with tears. My father who is not so fond of friends visiting my place late night called Rahul inside and talked to him about his condition. That time, I came to know more about Rahul’s family and his ambition. The way he talked to my father revealed his ambition to be a machinist and his father’s ambition to make him an engineer. He was in dilemma just like Hamlet. My father gave him food and a mat to sleep in the verandah of our house. Next day, we had a talk with him during breakfast.
Rahul told us about his hobbies of handling toys. Usually children play with toys, but in his childhood, Rahul did not play with toys, but broke them. He then would assemble the different parts of the toy and make it as it was earlier. He told that this hobby of him developed his liking towards machines, screws and hammers. His father wanted him to be a computer engineer which Rahul didn’t like. His father threw him out of the house, and he came at our place to ask for help. My father assured him that he would help him in becoming a machinist. Father told me to help Rahul in all the possible ways.
Rahul got admission for Mechanical in Indian Polytechnic College of our town. He used to work late nights in the garage next to our house, doing something with the machines in the dim lights. His late night struggle with machines, his getting early morning for reading the books and then going to college was making me visualize his success.  I used to help him in understanding different concepts in Mathematics. I used to pack tiffins for both of us so that he would not be hungry throughout the day. Finally, Rahul passed with flying colours. We both got a job in TATA Motors as Mechanical Engineers. If I were him I would have given up long back.



No comments:

Post a Comment

RETHINKING THE PURPOSE OF HOMEWORK

In education in India, homework has long been viewed as a staple, a marker of a student's engagement with academic material. Yet, the qu...