Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Class IX: Informal Letter

Letter Writing

A letter is a type, written or printed message used for communication between two people, organization, institutes, etc.

A letter is of two types:
·         Formal Letter
·         Informal Letter

Informal Letters

They are either written to friends, relatives or juniors, and are not written for any official purpose. These letters or the themes of these letters do not reflect any kind of senior-junior relationship or official scenario. Such letters are called as informal letters. In simple language, informal letters are friendly letters that are written to friends, relatives and sometimes to our juniors.

Formal Letters

These letters are written either for asking permission or for requesting for something or for ordering or commanding someone. In all the scenarios, there was official relationship between the people mentioned. The letters were also written for the official purposes only. Writing such letters is a formality in their respective institutes or organizations.

Informal Letter: Sample

B-401, Ram Apts
M.G. Road
XYZ City

12 February, 2014

Dear Suman,
It was my dream that whenever I should go on a vacation to Goa, I would go with you because since childhood we have been best friend. Sadly, I got a chance to go to Goa along with my Geography Department friends, and I could not control myself for sharing my experience with you.
Our journey to Goa by train was satisfactory. As we reached Goa, the first thing that appealed to me is the golden sand on the white beach of Goa. The endless Arabian Sea stretching towards the horizon kept me enthralled till the end of the journey. The hermit crab which I caught hiding inside the shell on the Culungate Beach is one of the gifts for you. I missed here so much. Wish you were a part of this mesmerizing experience. A lot of shopping, a lot of eating and some project work made this trip memorable but it would have been great with you.
Don’t worry. Next time when we will go for a trip to Goa, I will make sure that I show you all the places that I visited. Tell Aunty that I have got something for her from Goa. Give my love to all.
Yours lovingly,
Roshni

If we observe the sample letter, we will come to know that the letter is divided into many parts as given below:

·         Address of the sender
·         Date
·         Salutation or greeting
·         Introductory paragraph
·         Body of the letter
·         Concluding paragraph
·         Ending salutation



No comments:

Post a Comment

RETHINKING THE PURPOSE OF HOMEWORK

In education in India, homework has long been viewed as a staple, a marker of a student's engagement with academic material. Yet, the qu...