Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A Night At A Morgue

"Do you think it is easy to work in a morgue?"

The word 'morgue' caught our attention. We kids had heard this word from the adults and we were also aware of what it stands for, but we never dared to ask anyone more about it. While playing around in the chawl, we overheard Sanjay bhaiya saying this. '

"It is not as simple as electric welding or breaking an iron bar into two. You people live a safe life. Go to the office or your fabrication workshop, come back, eat and sleep. There is no fear, no danger at all." Sanjay Bhaiya said while taking a beedi from someone else's hand and smoking a puff. 

"My job is full of thrills. You know only brave people are recruited for such posts. If you are scared of ghosts and have weaker hearts, dude, then this is not your cup of tea. Have you seen an open dead body?" He asked the crowd of five to six people gathered around him and listening to him with pin-drop silence. He realized that nobody had understood his question, so he rephrased it and said, "Dude, I am asking if you have seen a dead body cut opened from head to waist?" The people looked at each others' faces nodding their heads. With one more puff of beedi, he unbuttoned his shirt. His pot like belly was now clearly visible, stuffed behind that white coloured vest. While rubbing the curly chest hair, he said, "Let me tell you what happened one night."

This sentence was enough to make everyone aware of the upcoming story-telling session. Everyone sat on the ground. Some squatted while some sat on the wooden logs kept aside. Appa, one of the listeners loudly asked his wife to make tea for everyone. 

"Sanju bhaiya, you were saying something about 'that night'", Appa said while handing over a cup of tea to him.

Sanju bhaiya took a sip of tea and instantly expression on his face changed saying that he didn't like its taste. He continued.

"It was Karthiki Amavasya, the darkest night of the year. It is said that people should not leave their houses in this night as mighty demons and spirits roam around. Being the only brave ward boy of Sassoon Hospital's morgue section, I was asked to do the night shift for that particular night. Other colleagues gave reasons and got an off. Gopal said that his grandmother died the previous day and he had to attend her funeral. I don't know how many grandmothers Gopal have. Every month, his grandmother dies." He grinned. "Subhash said that he had to leave as there was some puja at his home. Dr Gandhi said that he had to go to Mumbai to attend his sister-in-law's engagement. But they didn't know that I knew that they were scared. You need to be a real man to face such problems. I could have easily given any dumb reason and taken an off, but fear, thy name is Sanju." He said while squeezing the ends of his tiny moustache. 
"Then?" asked one of us. 
"It was ten in the night. I went inside the morgue. Sassoon's morgue always has a dead body or two. But that night, there were four dead bodies. They are dead. They don't do anything to you. And you know, I am a Hanuman-bhakt", he said while flaunting the locket around his neck with Hanuman's image in it. "I know Hanuman Chalisa by heart. So, I am scared of none." 
"I sat down, opened my tiffin, ate my food, and was on the verge of switching the radio on, and suddenly I heard a thud as if something fell down. I turned around to see what that was." He whispered. 

We kids were so scared that our bladders were about to burst. But look at our desire to get scared to death, we stood there like a Rambhakt Hanuman, listening to his Sanju bhaiya's story. 

"There was no one. I went to fill my water bottle up from the tap, and again I heard the same sound. I went in the direction of the sound. A hand of a dead body was moved, maybe because of the wind. I went closer to keep the hand properly. As I held that hand, the lights went off. There was pitch black darkness in the morgue except for her eyes. The hand I was holding was of a woman's dead body, and her eyes were wide opened. In the darkness, her eyes seemed white as the full moon. It seemed as if she was still alive. I thought that the very next moment, she would rise from the bed and tell me the story behind her death. Was I scared?" 

We didn't understand whether it was a rhetoric question. He again flaunted the Hanuman locket around his neck, "I was not. I placed her hand properly on the bed, recited Hanuman Chalisa, and with my own hands, I shut her wide-opened eyes."

The entire chawl was silent. From Shinde Mama's house, we could hear the twelfth stroke of the clock, and before he could tell the further part of the story, the lights in the chawl went off. We fumbled to hold each others' hands. 

"Baaki ki story baad me (the next part of the story will be told later)" said Sanju bhaiya while cleaning the dirt off his pants. 

The kids ran to their houses and shut the doors. Almost everybody left for the bed except Sanju bhaiya and Prakash bhaiya. Prakash bhaiya said, "Good night, Sanju!" Sanju bhaiya held his hand tightly and said, "Come with me. I have to go to the toilet. Just stand outside."

"Are you scared of ghosts, Sanju?" Prakash bhaiya asked. 

"No. not of ghosts, but of darkness," Sanju whispered. 

"I can't come with you, dear. I neither have a Hanuman locket nor do I know Hanuman Chalisa." Prakash bhaiya replied and quickly disappeared inside his house. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

RETHINKING THE PURPOSE OF HOMEWORK

In education in India, homework has long been viewed as a staple, a marker of a student's engagement with academic material. Yet, the qu...